SDI Dry Suit DiverSold Out
SDI Dry Suit Diver
The SDI Dry Suit Diver Course will open up a whole new world of diving to you. Many of the diving environments around the world are better experienced in a dry suit. Why? These areas have an abundance of marine life waiting to be seen and photographed – they just happen to be a little colder! Dry suits are also used in tropical water during the cooler months.This course allows the student to develop the knowledge and skills to properly use a dry suit. It will discuss the types of dry suits, accessories, maintenance and how to make basic repairs.
Who this course is for:
The certified diver looking for advanced training in dry suit equipment, selection and diving techniques. This diver can extend their diving season, spend more time diving in cooler environments and/or enjoy enhancing their dive experience by staying warm and cozy in a dry suit.
- SDI Open Water Scuba Diver, SDI Junior Open Water Diver, or equivalent
- Minimum age 18, 12 with parental consent
What you can expect to learn:
The SDI Dry Suit Diver course takes an in-depth look at all of the following and more:
- Types of dry suits
- Shell style
- Crushed neoprene
- Types of seals
- Self don
- Rear entry
- Zipper guard: protect waterproof zipper from chaffing
- Warm neck collar
- Dive wear insulation (often times called undergarments)
- Cut to be close to the skin
- Compression resistant
- Dry suit valves
- Inflator and deflator considerations
- Buoyancy control
- Maintenance and care
- Zipper care
- Minor repairs
- Dry suit emergencies
The required skills you will have to demonstrate include all of the following and more:
- Planning a dive
- Proper donning of a dry suit
- Review functions of the dry suit
- Buoyancy check and proper weighting
- Practice dry suit skills
- Inflate and deflate dry suit
- Roll out from an inverted position
- Buoyancy skills such as hovering in a fixed position
- Emergency procedures for dry suit malfunction
- Safety stop
- Ascend and exit
- Log dive
What’s in it for you?
Upon successful completion of this course, graduates may engage in dry suit diving activities without direct supervision of the SDI Instructor* so long as the following limits are adhered to:
- The diving activities approximate those of training
- The areas of activities approximate those of training
- Environmental conditions approximate those of training
*Note: Divers under the age of 18 must participate in underwater navigation diving activities with a parent, guardian, or dive professional.
The SDI Dry Suit Diver certification counts towards a single specialty rating to complete the SDI Advanced Diver Development program or SDI Master Scuba Diver Development program.
SDI Dry Suit Diver minimum requirements:
- Satisfactorily complete the SDI Dry Suit Diver Knowledge Quests with a passing score of 80%, followed by 100% remediation by the Instructor
- Complete all open water requirements efficiently
- Demonstrate mature and sound judgment concerning dive planning and execution
How to take this course:
- Sign up and receive your online code
- Once you complete the online portion schedule the class, pool, or open water dives as required.
- Course Cost:
- $139.95 for eLearning & certification card once earned.
- $180.00 Instructor Fee - Includes Classroom Session, Pool Session, and 2 open water dives (Tanks and Weights Included).
- Dive count is the minimum required amount of dives to successfully complete the course. If additional dives are required they are $45.00 per dive and include tanks and weights.
- Not included are Rental Equipment and Trip Costs. Trip costs include transportation, lodging, boat fees, park fees, food and beverage, etc.